2018 Netball NSW State Teams
How to nominate for NSW 17/U or 19/U trials
Nominations to trial for the NSW 17/U or 19/U teams will close on Sunday 15th September 2017 at 5PM. Prior to nominating all athletes must carefully note the following information:
1. Phase 1 trials for 17/U athletes will be held in four venues. You should nominate for and attend the trial closest to where you live.
2. Athletes can only nominate to trial at one Phase 1 trial.
3. Look carefully at the key dates listed above and ensure you are available for key commitments.
4. Read the Netball NSW Pathway Selection Policy.
5. Nominate by completing one of the following links: 17/U | 19/U Closing date, Sunday 15 September at 5pm AEST.
6. Complete $30 payment at time of nomination and ensure you submit your nomination prior to the closing date.
For further information contact: Margaret Hamley – State Pathways Manager: [email protected]
A History of the National Championships
New South Wales has a long and distinguished history of quality performances at National Championships at Open, 21/U, 19/U and 17/U level.
The Open National Championships began in 1926 and concluded in 2005 as the national league became more prominent.
The 21/U championship began in 1958, while the 19/U and 17/U divisions commenced in 1985 and are played together at Easter.
NSW teams have accumulated a total of 56 national titles (as at 24/10/2013).
- NSW Open Titles: 18
- NSW 21/U Titles: 16 (1974, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1897, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 – team pictured below, right, 2012)
- NSW 19/U Titles: 9 (1988, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2015)
- NSW 17/U Titles: 13 (1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012)
One of the most well known winning streaks of NSW was the eight-year title run by Open State Team coach Margaret Corbett from 1987– 1994, known as the Golden Boot Era (pictured below, left).
NSW is proud of its state team history and wishes all future players, coaches, managers and umpires every success, and enjoyment at the championships.
Each year the selection process for the 17/U and 19/U state teams begins around September, nominations from players are taken at this time. Application forms for the state teams can be obtained through the Netball NSW website or your local Association.
The selection process involves three trials for the 17/U Team and two trials for the 19/U Team – usually held in November and December. National Championships for these teams is usually held in April of each year.
Players nominating for these teams must be either 17/U, 19/U or 21/U at the 31 December in the year of competition.
Australian Netball League
In 2008, coinciding with the introduction of the trans-Tasman netball league – the ANZ Championship – Netball Australia introduced the Australian Netball League (ANL).
The ANL bridges the gap between State League competition and the ANZ Championship by providing a national pathway for players, coaches, umpires, score bench and technical officials.
Netball NSW fielded one team in the 2015 and 2016 competitions (Netball NSW Waratahs), after fielding two teams, the Netball NSW Blues and Netball NSW Waratahs from 2008-2014).
NSW teams have won one title in the Australian Netball League (as at 10/10/2013):
2011 (Netball NSW Waratahs).