The International Netball Federation (INF) has announced the latest update of its rules of the game.
Netball Australia, along with the eight state and territory Member Organisations, will implement the new updates to the Official Rules of Netball across all associated competitions and events from 1 January 2018.
The updates reflect the amendments to the 2016 rules that were approved at INF Congress in July 2017 and are not new rules, but small changes.
The amendments include:
- New definitions of breaking, pivot and set (for a free pass and penalty pass)
- The sanction if a free pass or penalty pass is taken in an incorrect position
- When a player who is in the correct position may take the penalty pass
- Umpires hold time to give a caution and new caution signal added
- Change of ‘official warning’ to ‘warning’ throughout rules book
- Suspension period is two minutes playing time
- State when a player may move into the court surround
- Minor tidy up to remove duplication and provide clarity
Netball Australia are developing a series of informative and instructional videos explaining the amendments to the rules. These will be available online from mid-December ahead of the implementation of the updated rules on 1 January 2018.
Updates to additional support material, including Netball Australia’s online training and education modules will also be available from mid-December.
In the interim, further specifics around the amended rules are outlined in the INF Rules of Netball supplement document, available to download here.
For queries, contact [email protected].
Bottom of Form