Netball NSW is encouraging NSW Primary Schools to get involved in the exciting Sporting Schools program!
The national program was launched during 2015 by the Australian Sports Commission to replace the Active After-School Communities program, and aims to engage more children in sport-based activity within schools.
The aim is for Sporting Schools to help children foster a lifelong interest in sport, all the while gaining a healthier mind and body, and having fun in a safe and inclusive environment.
So why netball?
Netball Australia’s popular introductory program, NetSetGO, will be used as the delivery model for the Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program for netball across NSW. This program aims to offer participants a non-competitive format which focuses on FUN, and can be easily tailored for all skill levels.
Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program can be run with both boys and girls and caters for all types of experience, while also assisting in developing fundamental motor skills such as; running, jumping, throwing, and catching. In addition, the sessions also link closely with the National Curriculum to provide teachers the opportunity to assess each student’s development in accordance with the Stage of Learning indicators.
Importantly, the Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program will be delivered by accredited Netball NSW Development Officers before, during and/or after school using resources designed specifically for different age groups and abilities. The program is run over four consecutive weeks, with each session being one (1) hour long, and with the same group of participants for the entire four-week program.
Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program
Schools will be able to request the following programs:
- ‘Net’ (K – Year 2 / Stage 1)
A play-based motor skill program which emphasises on the acquisition of basic motor skills in a fun and safe environment through netball games.
- ‘Set’ (Year 3-4 / Stage 2)
A program to develop skills through a series of fun activities and minor games, incorporating game play activities and challenges.
- ‘GO’ (Year 5-6 / Stage 3)
A program of continued development of netball skills within a positive, supportive and encouraging learning environment. At School level this may include an increased focus on game play in preparation for Inter-School Sport, School-based Round Robin and/or House Competitions.
In a nutshell…
Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program benefits include:
- Accredited Development Officers endorsed by Netball NSW delivering programs,
- Equipment kit can be purchased at a discounted rate to assist delivery of programs,
- Free giveaway item for each participant,
- Fun for all participants, regardless of ability, and suitable for both girls and boys,
- Development of motor skills and confidence through fun and games,
- Flexible session time options,
- Social interactive learning,
- Link to the National Curriculum.
DOWNLOAD: Sporting Schools Pricing Structure
If you would like to register your interest in participating in a Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program, please follow this link: Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program Registration.
Help deliver the Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program!
Teachers are eligible to deliver the Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program at their own school. The nominated staff member is required to:
- Register as a coach to deliver Netball on the Sporting Schools website
- Register and complete the FREE Getting to Know NetSetGO online learning module
- Contact Netball NSW to notify of the proposed Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program and to be endorsed as a coach
Click here for more information about Teacher-delivered Sporting Schools NetSetGO Program.
Have a question? Contact:
Netball NSW School Programs Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (02) 9951 5017
Fax: (02) 9951 5099
Mobile: 0488 121 466