Netball NSW is delighted to announce the establishment of the South East Region Netball Academy (SERNA) as part of the Regional Academies of Sport (RAS) Netball Program.
SERNA is a new initiative, replacing a previous program in that region, and like the Sydney Netball Academy, it will be run by Netball NSW.
Upon announcing this new Program, Netball NSW confirmed the appointment of former Hunter Academy of Sport Assistant Coach, Adele Caesar as SERNA’s Head Coach, with further appointments to be made.
“The South East Region Netball Academy forms an important step in the Player Pathway and will focus on developing players to be the very best they can be on and off the court,” said Tracey Fear, Netball NSW General Manager – High Performance.
“Through this program Netball NSW will be able to provide development opportunities for up and coming netballers aged 14 to 16 years within the South East Region. Players will be selected to participate in a structured netball program, and to compete against other Academy squads from around NSW,” Fear concluded.
The RAS netball program, which is delivered by ten Academies throughout the State, as well as the Sydney Netball Academy and now the South East Region Netball Academy, is a priority for the Netball NSW High Performance program and offers the following;
- Individual skill development, sport science education and support structures for each athlete to easily integrate to the next level of the NSW elite athlete pathway
- Access to the Develop a Diamond Academy Program by Netball Australia
- Preparation of athletes for NSW State Team trials
- Coach and umpire education, promoting continuous improvement to develop the region’s coaches and umpires
- A program which concentrates on the well-being of each athlete to make sure they have a life/sport balance
Netball NSW will conduct trials on Wednesday 2nd April in Braidwood and Thursday 3rd in Bega to select players from the South East Region to form the 2014 SERNA Squad.
From this Squad, a team will be selected to represent SERNA at the ClubsNSW Academy Games to be held at University of Wollongong from 11-13 April, 2014.