Over the Australia Day Long Weekend, the Executives of Liverpool City Netball Association were awarded the Liverpool City Council Australia Day Sports Award*, which recognises the work of an individual or group that has devoted time, energy and passion to sporting pursuits in the Liverpool local government area.
President Cath Penning accepted the Sports Award on behalf of Liverpool City and the Board at the official Australia Day Awards ceremony, conducted at Woodward Park, Liverpool on Saturday afternoon.
Association Secretary Estelle Lawler said the Board were very honoured to receive the award.
“We are absolutely thrilled to receive the Sports Award from Liverpool City Council; it’s an honour to be recognised for your efforts, but most importantly, that we enjoy what we do,” Lawler said.
“All the hard work that volunteers put in is worth it when you’re watching the young girls out on court and having fun. It is nice to watch our girls, who have been with us from their very first game, grow and develop into players who achieve beyond our expectations.”
When asked why they work so tirelessly as volunteers, and given so many years of service, Estelle’s answer was simple and to the point; “We do it for the love of the sport.”
Did you know? The current members of the Liverpool City Netball Executive have given over 200 years of service to the Association – and there are just six Executives currently serving!
- Cath Penning has given 35 years of service and has been President for the last 15 years
- Ann Brown has given 23 years of service and has been in the role of Vice President since 2001
- Estelle Lawler is the current Secretary and has also given 35 years of service, whilst also finding time to coach and umpire at representative level
- Denise Quinn has been an Executive on and off for 34 years, and is currently the Umpires Convenor
- Bev Wilson is the ‘newest’ member of the Board, giving 26 years of service as the Association Registrar
- Kath Whiteley is the longest serving member, having been on the Board for 45 years – Kath has been a part of the Association since their inaugural season, at first working in the canteen before becoming an Executive in 1969
All the Board and Team at Netball NSW and the NSW Swifts congratulate Liverpool City Netball Association on their outstanding achievement.
Love netball? Join the family in 2013 – www.swiftstickets.com.au
If you’ve heard a great Australia Day Awards story, get in touch with us! [email protected]
*The Australia Day Awards are presented annually on the national holiday to local citizens and groups who have made outstanding contributions to the community. The awards are provided by the National Australia Day Council and are administered by local councils throughout Australia on their behalf.