Following its introduction earlier this year, Netball NSW is now calling for Expressions of Interest from Associations and Organisations to host a Walking Netball Pilot Program.
What is Walking Netball?
Netball NSW and the NSW Department of Family and Community Services have entered into a partnership to develop a program that modifies Netball to remove barriers to participation for older people to experience health and social benefits of the sport.
The modified Netball program will be a slower version of the game; Netball, but at a walking pace. The program will be designed so that anyone can play it regardless of age or fitness level with fun, laughter and camaraderie the focus.
- A player must never have both feet off the ground at once (ie jumping).
- When a player receives the ball, they can take 1-2 steps while in possession before they must pass or shoot.
- A player may keep possession of the ball for up to 4 seconds before they must pass or shoot
- When defending, a player must be 4 feet (1.22 metres) away from the opposition player.
Register your Interest to host Walking Netball
Ideally, we’re looking for Associations and Organisations to initially host a four-week program to help launch the new product. Already we’ve received interest from over 250 participants across the State who are keen to play.
So, what do you need to do?
- Complete the registration form below
- Netball NSW staff will be in contact to discuss
- Start recruiting your Walking Netball participants!
Important notes to consider:
- Walking Netball participants do not have to be registered members of Netball NSW.
- Participants will be covered under Netball NSW insurance as Trialing Members
- Walking Netball programs must be endorsed by Netball NSW to be covered by this insurance.
If you have any further questions, or would like more information about Walking Netball, please contact Nathan Keys, Participation Coordinator, on email@example.com or by calling (02) 9951 5000 during business hours.