Before presenting the 2013 Neita Matthews OAM Umpires’ Encouragement Award, Netball NSW President Wendy Archer AM paid tribute to the hard work and tireless commitment that our NSW umpires are doing in the community – whether at local, national or international level.
The following umpires were given special recognition for their achievements throughout the 2013 season, and were given a rousing round of applause from those in attendance.
· Congratulations to Jason Baker (Hawkesbury City) and Michelle McNamara (Liverpool) for receiving their National ‘A’ Badge endorsements during the season;
· Haydn McKay (Manly-Warringah), Kim Chan (Ku-ring-gai), Kate Howard (Bankstown City), Rowena Gibson (Hills District), Steven Jackson (City of Sydney) and sisters Emma and Hayley Burgess (Sutherland Shire) were all awarded their National ‘A’ Badges earlier this year;
· Northern Suburbs umpire Courtney Harrington was awarded her National ‘AA’ Badge, with a special presentation held at the NSW Swifts Round 10 home game against the Northern Mystics at Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre;
· 21 year old Jemma Carlton (Manly-Warringah) became the youngest official to be Internationally endorsed after officiating the NSW Swifts 2013 opening match against the West Coast Fever at Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre; and
· Helen George (Hills District) and Clare McCabe (Eastwood Ryde) were both re-endorsed as IUA umpires for a further four years.
Dinner Emcee Steve Robilliard also made special mention to our umpires who have represented Netball NSW throughout the 2013 ANZ Championship and Australian Netball League seasons, highlighting the achievements Australia’s number one umpire Sharon Kelly who was awarded Netball Australia’s Umpire of the Year for the 12th consecutive season.
ANZ Championship umpires; Rachael Ayre, Jemma Carlton, Helen George, Sharon Kelly, Michelle Phippard, Tara Warner.
Australian National League umpires; Bronwen Adams, Emma Burgess, Hayley Burgess, Jemma Carlton, Emma Davey, Courtney Harrington, Kate Howard, Clare McCabe, Rebecca McKinnon, Tara Warner.
In addition to our umpires’ achievements at a national level, the audience also applauded the following umpires who have represented not just NSW but Australia at international competitions in 2013.
· Helen George and Jemma Carlton umpired at 2013 World Youth Netball Championships in Glasgow during August;
· Sharon Kelly and Rachael Ayre umpired during the England v South Africa three match Test Series in England during September and October;
· Clare McCabe officiated during the New Zealand Silver Ferns v Malawi Queens three match Test series in New Zealand during October; and,
· Michelle Phippard umpired the three match Fiji Pearls v Malawi Queens series in Fiji during November.
Congratulations are also extended to Bench Officials who were allocated to international matches during the latter part of 2013.
· Helen Andrews, Scorer at both Canberra and Wollongong Diamonds’ Test matches;
· Lynn Quinn OAM, Timer at both Canberra and Wollongong Diamonds’ Test matches;
· Janet Bothwell, Match Delegate at both Canberra and Wollongong Diamonds’ Test matches; and,
· Sam Dawes, Timer at the Diamonds v Malawi Queens test match in Wollongong.