Whilst the NSW netball community gears up for State Championships in 11 days, there’s another HUGE venture just on the horizon… the 2015 Netball NSW State Age Championships!
This year’s tournament is being held from Saturday 27 to Monday 29 June, marking the start of the July School Holidays with three days of full on netball fun at various venues across the Sydney West and North West regions.
To get our community excited for what is Netball NSW’s BIGGEST marquee event on the calendar, here are four reasons why you should start counting down towards the State Age Championships…
- 294 teams representing 83 Associations from around the State have registered to participate in this year’s tournament; final provisional grading is available to view on our website – CLICK HERE to view.
- Four venues will host a division each;
- Baulkham Hills Shire Netball Association: Championship Division
- Eastwood Ryde Netball Association: Division 2
- Penrith Netball Association: Division 3
- Hawkesbury City Netball Association: Division 4
- Four age groups will be on display at each Association – 15/U, 14/U, 13/U, 12/U – showcasing the best young netballing talent our State has to offer!
- Not only will there be almost 3,000 netballers in action across the three days, there will also be hundreds of umpires, coaches and officials joining parents and siblings on the sidelines.
So, what is State Age?
The Netball NSW State Age Championships, one of the largest female sporting events in the Southern Hemisphere. It was originally known as the ‘Junior District Carnival’, which was a day-long carnival first held on Sunday 14 July, 1968 at Moore Park (now recognised as City of Sydney Netball Association).
Forty-four teams representing 10 Associations contested in five age-groups during the inaugural tournament; 14 Years, 13 Years, 12 Years, 11 Years and 10 Years. Manly Warringah and Sutherland Shire dominated the winners’ list for the first championships, with Manly taking out three (13 Years, 11 Years, 10 Years) and Sutherland taking home two titles (14 Years, 12 Years).
In 1969, the Netball NSW State Age Championships came into being for the 15/U, 14/U, 13/U, 12/U and 11/U year age groups and as the years rolled on, the number of entries grew to such an extent that it became necessary to contest over a two-day period to enable each Association to play one another. As team numbers continued to increase, the Championships expanded to include a third day.
In 1983, the decision was made to introduce a second division in each age group, and two years later the competition was re-structured, settling on ages groups for 15U, 14U, 13U and 12U. Since this time, the competition has continued to grow, to include four divisions of competition in each of the age groups.
The competition is so large now, that no single Association has the court, venue space and facilities to host all four divisions and age groups by itself! Therefore, multiple Associations are used simultaneously to host the event, which is an incredible effort from our fantastic volunteer-powered Associations.