This Saturday 25 July Australia will come together to celebrate National Netball Day; an initiative dedicated to recognising and celebrating our great sport and our country’s netball community.
Netball Australia and ANZ are calling on the Netball Nation to show its pride and get involved in the initiative – whether you host exhibition matches, training sessions, a skills clinic or even a fundraiser.
Whether it’s a small event with your team or something involving the entire association, National Netball Day is about bringing everyone in the netball community together and celebrating everything we love about the sport.
ANZ have provided some suggested activities (below) that you could try!
- Take the opportunity to invite past players, coaches and committee members to come and visit your association or club to encourage connection between alumni and younger members of the club.
- Host a National Netball Day awards and recognition event – congratulate the teams, coaches, admin staff and even the volunteers for their hard work and participation in our netball community.
- If you have games on National Netball Day, decorate your association or club house in blue! Blue balloons, streamers and posters will ensure everyone knows you’re celebrating National Netball Day.
- Host an exhibition match with parents vs kids for members of your association to watch. Make sure the teams dress up their uniforms with something blue!
- Host a National Netball Day party – play a social game with friends at a local court, followed by a BBQ or picnic. Bring blue dress up items to wear after you finish the game.
- If your team is playing on the Saturday, arrange to bake or bring something delicious to share after the match. Encourage your team members and supporters to wear something blue as part of their netball uniform.
- Set up a stand at your local netball courts with blue-frosted cakes, cookies and other yummy food to sell to the community to raise funds for your teams and associations.
- Gather your team together to play games and activities at your local park.
Taking part is easy, and no level of participation is too big or small – just wear something blue to show your support, and share your celebrations on social media using the hashtag #nationalnetballday.
Head to the National Netball Day page to find out what’s happening near you or to register your event.